Legislators have recently passed HB3878 which increases the Rental Housing Support Fee by an additional $9.00. The increase affects recording fees in all 102 counties throughout the State of Illinois and will take effect July 1, 2023.
Predictable Fee Schedule
Requirements for Standardization of Documents and Definition of a Non-Standard Document
Accepted forms of payment for recordings are cash, check and credit card.
Sangamon County Recorder - A Grantor/Grantee Office
Document Preparation is a specialized task that may demand legal knowledge or advice. Black Ink is required.
Documents must contain:
- Name and Address of Preparer
- Return To
- Tax Bill To (if applicable)
- Tax ID# and Common Address (last two items may be acquired at 217-753-6805).
Recording Fees for Real Property Transactions:
Standard 8.5" x 11" paper with at least a 3" x 5" blank space in the upper right-hand corner - $64
Types of Documents:
- Agreements/Options to Purchase
- Coal Lease
- Deeds/Contract for Deed
- Easements (other than public utility)
- Land Grants
- Lis Pendens
- Mineral Deed
- Monument Records
- Mortgages and Notes
- Mortgage Releases
- Notice of Reclamation
- Oil & Gas Lease
- Royalty Deed
- Timber Agreement/Lease
Non-Standard Rental Housing Support Surcharge & Not Meeting Standardization Requirements (click link at top of page) - $84
Deeds/Easements/Leases may require Transfer Tax Stamps - $.50 per $500 value for State plus $.25 per $500 value for County – refer to: https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/localgovernments/property/Pages/default.aspx
Exceptions to Surcharge:
- Judgment Releases
- Notice of Probate
- Power of Attorney
- UCC's and birth records
- death certificates
- marriage records (outside of Sangamon Co) -
Search and Other Non-Recording Requests
- Copies: Certified (all documents except Plats) - $26
- Non-Certified - first two (2) pages - $2 – additional pages - $.25 each
- Call 217-535-3140. Monthly statements provided.
- Email Requests require payment in advance or escrow account (up to four (4) pages) cover included - $5 each – add'l pages - $.25 each
(See Copy Requests)
- $25 each
- Copies - $2 first two (2) pages - $.25 each add'l page
Requests must be sent in writing, faxed, or submitted through Copy Requests
Federal or State Lien / Release
These must include the parties' name(s) to be searched, type of lien or release (Federal or State), ID SSN number, amount of lien.
Plats 11" x 17" size - $3 each
Up to 30" x 36" - $5 each
- NAME, DBA, ADDRESS - $10 each
- UCC Copies - $1 each
Veteran's Record DD-214 with ID - No charge
For any additional information call: 217-535-3150.