How much will my recording cost?

A fee schedule is available by clicking here.

Who should I make my check payable to?

Sangamon County Recorder

Can I mail in my document for recording?

You can mail in an original document for recording. Be sure to include where you want the document returned to after recording, a check in the exact amount of the recording fee and mail these to:

Sangamon County Recorder
200 South 9th Street, Room 211
Springfield, Il 62701

When will my original document be returned to me?

Our goal is to have the original document returned within three (3) to five (5) business days.

How do I change the ownership of a piece of property?

Each time ownership of property is transferred, whether through a sale or gift, a new deed form must be prepared, signed, notarized and recorded in our office. If the transfer is a sale of property for $100 or more, a PTAX 203 must be completed and must accompany the deed for recording for purposes of collecting transfer taxes based upon the sale price. If gifting property, the transfer is exempt from transfer taxes and the deed must contain the appropriate exemption paragraph. Deeds may qualify as being exempt from transfer taxes for various other reasons. Exemption List

What information is required to be on a document for recording?

All documents require a return name and address for mailing purposes. Requirements vary by document type, please feel free to call our staff at 217-535-3150 and press Number Two (2) for additional information.

Where do I obtain a form for recording purposes?

There are forms available in our office, on this website under “FORMS” and at most office supply stores.

When I present my document to be recorded, what happens to it?

The document is reviewed for statutory requirements and appropriate fees are collected. Documents are then recorded in a timely manner in the order received. Recording consists of assigning a document number, date and time to the instrument being recorded, scanning, indexing and verifying the instrument so that it may become a permanent public record. Documents are returned within seven (7) to ten (10) business days.

How do I obtain a copy of my deed?

You can request a copy from our office in person, by mail and by phone. If you are requesting by mail, please enclose a check for the correct amount. If requesting by phone to be picked up at our office, call our Research Department at 217-535-3153.

What is the cost of a copy of my deed?

A copy costs $2 for the first two pages and 25 cents for any additional page. You may contact our Research Department at 217-535-3153 to find out how many pages there are for your particular deed.

Can I find the owner of a property?

If you have the correct address, you may find the owner of a piece of property by coming into our office or by phone at 217-535-3153.

Can you tell me the selling price of a piece of property?

Most deeds of record will have revenue stamps reflecting the sale price.

Can you tell me the owner of a piece of property with or without a parcel number?

We can assist you as long as you have the correct address; however, farm ground must have a parcel number. To obtain a parcel number, contact the Supervisor of Assessment at 217-753-6805.

How do I do a title search?

Property ownership can be traced in the Recorder’s Office. You may visit our office and we will assist you in gathering information. All records in our office are located by searching the grantor (seller) or grantee (buyer) name index. By law, the Recorder’s office is not allowed to perform title searches and we can only provide you with information we have available. A title company could perform and guarantee a full search of the property; something we are unable to do for you.

How do I research property back beyond 1982?

That search will require you to visit the Recorder’s office. As a matter of policy, we do not perform historical research for the public. We suggest you acquire the services of a title researcher.

How do I know what liens are on a property?

You may come to the Recorder’s office and check the records in this office for liens that have been recorded. This information cannot be given over the phone.

How long is a lien in effect?

This is a legal question that we are unable to answer. We advise you to consult an attorney.

How do I remove an erroneous lien from my property?

Your question may be answered by contacting an attorney. We are not attorneys and are unable to give legal advice.

How do I find out about a State Tax Lien that is showing up on my property?

Contact the Illinois Department of Revenue, State Tax Lien Unit, 217-785-5299.

How do I find out about a Federal Tax Lien that is showing up on my property?

If it is due to a small business/self-employment tax lien, call 1-800-913-6050. In the case of a wage/income tax lien, call 1-800-829-7640.

How do I get the dimensions and/or legal description for my property?

Come to the Recorder’s office for information on property within a subdivision. For farmland and unincorporated parcels, the information can be obtained at the Supervisor of Assessment’s office.

How do I get a copy of my recorded Veteran’s Record and what is the cost?

A current photo ID is required. In the case of a deceased veteran, a photocopy of the death certificate is required. There is no fee.